I have always wanted to try out a vegetarian chili. Don’t get me wrong I love the kind with meat but I wanted something a little lighter. This one knocked my socks off. Not only was it so easy to make but it was so full of flavor you don’t even miss the meat. I loved the addition of quinoa in it, it added a nice texture. I served it with Ina Garten’s Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread– Recipe Here and it was the perfect meal for a chilly night. I make her cornbread all the time, it is so delicious. You can could easily make this in your slow cooker if you want, but I used my large Dutch Oven pot. Saves and reheats well.
|| Q U I N O A V E G E T A R I A N C H I L I ||
adapted via Damn Delicious
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder, or more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- Shredded white cheddar cheese for topping
- sliced green onions for topping
- Juice of 1 lime, optional
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and 1-2 cups water, making sure to cover most of the ingredients; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice, if using, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with avocado, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar and sour cream if desired.
+ view comments